Kitchen Design Frizington
10 ways to improve your kitchen designAuthor: Carrie Sommer
With this volatile housing and lending market, chances are you're planning on spending a few more years in your current home than you previously planned. And, with an average 100% return on investment with kitchen redesigns, you really have nothing to lose. You get an updated, modern kitchen, and can simply add the price of the new kitchen design to your selling price when you do decide to move. Here are 10 ways to improve your kitchen redesign:
1. Focus on usability: The first function of a kitchen is obviously food preparation. So, make it as cook-friendly as possible. Provide plenty of storage (consider using pan racks or shelving), plenty of counter space, and make appliances accessible. That is, you don't want to set your refrigerator right next to the kitchen door. Think about ease-of-use, for example put the dishwasher close to the sink, and the waste bin close to the stove.
The Kitchen Triangle: No, this is not some supernatural void where people and food disappear; it is the concept of grouping kitchen sink, fridge and stove in a triangular pattern. So, playing off the idea we presented in Step One, set these three appliances close together. You will use all three of them frequently during food preparation, so by grouping them together you will save unnecessary steps and provide easy-clean-up.
2. Fresh paint and cabinets: Nothing is uglier in a kitchen than pea-green walls and faded, yellow cabinets. Freshen up the walls with a neutral paint colour, and add cabinets made of solid, stained wood. Do NOT paint the wood. That decreases resale value.
3. Use stone: Utilize stone or granite countertops. Not only are they gorgeous, they are easy to clean and do not harbour food contaminants.
4. Make room for two: Cooking can be a social event, and when you have a party, there is always someone offering to help out. So, make a work station for them! Consider adding a rolling trolley for salad making or butchering. When not entertaining, you can use it for storage.
5. Save space: Many appliances today are designed to be incorporated into walls or cabinets. Purchase these appliances, and save valuable counter space.
6. Flooring: Do not use carpet in your kitchen. Utilize hardwood flooring in a colour that matches your cabinets.
7. New cookware: The beauty of the kitchen utensils, pans and tools, are as important as your static design. Buy nice stainless steel pots and pans, and colour co-ordinate your towels to fit the room.
8. Heated flooring: Cold toes on a winter morning may help wake you up, but it is still a jarring experience. Consider purchasing heated ceramic floors.
9. Plants and herbs: Adding plants or herbs to your kitchen gives it more of a natural organic feel. Decorate with plants that can be utilized for cooking as well, such as basil, marjoram and oregano.
QualityBath has over 25 years experience in the Kitchen & Bath industry. Our knowledgeable staff is ranked among the leaders in the industry in customer service and we pride ourselves on our customer’s satisfaction.